Friday, January 23, 2009

Pirates Get New Uniforms

The Pirates have new uniforms for the 2009 season, and as was long expected, the dreadful red uniforms are gone. So no matter what their uniforms looked like, we knew this was going to be a positive move. I mean look at these hideous things:So it's not all bad. That said, I think the new black uniforms, the one Nate McLouth is sporting on the far right, are solid third uniforms, and I think a black uniform is a good addition. I've never much cared for having grey and white uniforms, they're just too similar and too...I guess bland would be the right word, especially now that they have sleeves added back onto the uniforms, that takes away the black undeneath part that at least added something. I mean look at those two uniforms in the middle up there. What is even the least bit remarkable about those? Not a damn thing.

Of course the Pirates, in all their bountiful enthusiasm, are taking the new uniform thing to a new level. As Dejan Kovacevic reports in the Post-Gazette, "Frank Coonelly explained as part of the announcement today at the team's annual media luncheon that one reason for restoring the sleeves was that four of the franchise's five championships were won in that fashion and that the move was made 'as part of our return to championship-caliber baseball.'"

Riiiiiiight. I never realized how important adding sleeves was to a baseball team. Well then that would be the first move this team has made toward returning to championship baseball this offseason. Sorry, overpaying signing Ramon Vazquez just doesn't quite do it for me.

Anyway, as much as I like the idea of a black uniform, I'd much rather have the black become our home color instead of the gray, and then use a different third uniform, something that better embodies the idea of a third uniform. Something very different, yet marketable and representative of the organization. So, here's what I'm thinking:Disregard the goofy looking white guy on the right and focus instead on Pops. I mean how cool would wearing the Stargell Stars Jersey be? Am I the only one who thinks that would be unbelievably cool? I don't know maybe, but I'd rather see that than any other third design jersey the Buccos can come up with. Especially now that the Bucs have brought back sleeves on at least some of their Unis this makes sense. If they really want the fans to be fired up about new jerseys, I think this is the way to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more about the Gold Pirate throwbacks. That would be amazing to see. And after those red uniforms, anything would be an improvement.

Jonathan Bryant said...

I don't know I think you're giving the old uniforms too much credit. I can't imagine wanting one of those things. I mean, sure they're better than the red ones, but what isn't? I'd be more likely to buy the black ones instead. I think it'd be okay to bring out the 70's unis for like 1 or 2 games a year, to celebrate the old Pirates, but thats about it.