Friday, March 27, 2009

Three Rivers Three Links: March 27

I'm still recovering from last night's...err...revelry... which consisted of a solid 4 hours of drinking (2 hours of which was nervous, drown-my-problems drinking, 2 of which was celebratory WE WON! drinking, a lethal combo) and then coming back to my apartment and deciding to write what turned out to be a surprisingly coherent 1300+ words on the game. Actually, it was probably a shade more coherent than my usual writing. Maybe I should do that more often. Anyway, by the time that was done it was almost 2 AM, at which time I decided I needed to make some pizza. I really am going to miss college.

Anyway, the morning was not nearly as kind to me as the night, and because I'm in a pretty lazy mood I'm not giving you much in the way of off-the-beaten-path links. All these links are from pages much more popular than mine, but whatev. Let's do this...

1. Talks are heating up between the Bucs and Will Ohman right now. Ohman's a lefty reliever for those of you not aware. He's nothing spectacular, as evidenced by the fact that it is almost April and he is still a free agent, but he won't embarass himself, and when talking about the Pirates pitchers, that's more or less a glowing review. To me this means one of two things: Either the Pirates think they are close to dealing John Grabow or they aren't satisfied with Sean Burnett. Hell, it could be both. I think this is definitely the year that Grabow gets dealt, it's just a matter of when, and having someone like Ohman will give us at least a decent replacement when that inevitably happens. Maybe Grabow could even be dealt for a starting pitcher or something. Who knows? Just a thought. As for Burnett, he sure picked a hell of a time to have his first bad spring training in a few years. He tore through the past two spring trainings, even when he clearly wasn't major league ready in 07, and now in 09 when all he has to do is be okay and he gets a job he starts struggling. Doesn't that figure? I want to see if this actually happens, as the M.O. recently with the Pirates is that when they get seriously interested in a useful guy like Ohman he often signs elsewhere and the fans are let down because of it.

2. Sean from Sean's Ramblings gives us a breakdown of some of the things he saw during his trip to Bradenton to see the Buccos in spring training. He's got some good pics on there that are definitely worth a look.

3. Check out this article about Missouri's "Forty Minutes of Hell" style of play written by one of the best sports writers in the country, Joe Posnanski. This is what convinced me to pick Mizzou over Memphis when I did my picks yesterday, and I'd say it definitely worked out well for me. Good call, JoePo.

As always the links take the weekend off cuz they're lazy like that, but the site will still be working hard to have some Pirate stuff, some Pens stuff and some Pitt stuff up over the course of the next 2 and a half days.

No comments: